Monday, June 15, 2015

Day 9 - Nova Iguacu

Oi!  Today was a school day at CIEP 117 Carlos Drummond de Andrade High School in Nova Iguacu. Today I met with five classes at this bilingual school. The students at the school speak English very well and were very interested in learning about the United States. Most of the classes that I spoke with were sophomores. In class we talked about American culture and what life is like for American students. I prepared a PowerPoint to show them, but they were most interested in the PA yearbook that I brought with me. They were enthralled by the prom, football games, senior corn roast and other high school events. Events like the prom don't exist here, so that was of great interest to the students. After the lesson, I gave the students a bookmark that my students at Pinkerton had made prior to my trip to Brazil. The students here loved them and were most appreciative! The Brazil-USA bookmarks were a big hit! They wanted to me to thank all my students back home...so...Obrigado! (Portuguese for thank you) ...well done Astros!

 The school

 Teaching about the U.S.

The homemade USA-Brazil bookmarks were a big hit with the students and teacher!





1 comment:

  1. What a good idea to have your students make something for the Brazilian students.

    ReplyDelete